We are exploring new data sources such as Google’s Community Mobility Reports to strengthen the information that we have through surveys and other sources.Read more on Supporting the response to coronavirus (COVID-19)
Our new Schools Engagement Strategy in partnership with Techniquest, aims to build science capital in primary aged children.Read more on Science outreach in the community
We are currently using open data sets to develop a better understanding of loneliness in England. Are there places in England where people are more likely to be lonely and why?Read more on Developing a Loneliness Prescription Index
Social media is such a key part of everyday life and with the data readily available online, it has the potential to change the way we collect information to understand society. However, it is paramount that data sources used in the production of official statistics are accurate, relevant, unbiased, and most importantly, they must be used ethically.Read more on Exploring the value of social media data
The Data Science Campus has begun a research project with Hafod, a social residential tenant organisation, to explore the flows…Read more on Caring for the future – working with Hafod
1. Executive Summary The Evaluating Calorie Intake for Population Statistical Estimates (ECLIPSE) project was carried out by the Data Science…Read more on Evaluating Calorie Intake
Using doubly labelled water to improve our understanding of the UK’s calorie intake. The problem We’re not very good at…Read more on How much is the UK eating?
Can we improve self-reported estimates of energy (calorie) consumption? Background The 2016 ‘Counting Calories’ report highlighted a disparity between self-reported…Read more on Evaluating calorie intake for population statistical estimates (ECLIPSE)
Can a national urban vegetation dataset be generated using computer vision and machine learning techniques? Background The value of urban…Read more on Measuring the urban forest
What we’re working on
- How international collaboration is advancing machine learning in official statistics
- Boost your data science and visualisation skills in 2022!
- Making an international impact with data science mentoring
- Graduate Induction Week
- Supporting improved social mobility through data science
- Using Mobile Phone Data for Enhancing International Passenger Survey Traveller Statistics