What is the Data Science Accelerator?
The Data Science Accelerator has been giving analysts from across the public sector the opportunity to develop their data science skills through mentoring since 2015.
It is run by the Government Data Science Partnership (GDSP) – a collaboration between Government Digital Service (GDS), Office for National Statistics (ONS) and Government Office for Science (GO-Science).
The Data Science Campus now administrates the programme on behalf of the GDSP and our Newport office has been the regional Accelerator hub for the South West and Wales since 2016.
Other regional hubs are in Manchester, Newcastle, London, Sheffield and Taunton.
How does it work?
- work on a data science project, chosen by you, over three months;
- commit to spending one day a week at a regional hub, which forms your protected time (an important benefit of the programme);
- be assigned a dedicated mentor (an experienced data scientist) for the duration of your project and also benefit from peer support from other participants in your cohort.
Your line manager and a senior manager (usually a Head of Profession or equivalent) must agree that:
- your project tackles a business problem
- you have access to the data you’ll need for your project
- you can join one of the hubs 1 day per week for 3 months
Coding experience is useful but not essential.
You will need to commit to spending one day a week working on your project, based in one of our regional hubs.
How can I apply?
- a project proposal
- an explanation of what you hope to gain from taking part in the Accelerator
- a statement of support from your Head of Profession or director
Email your completed Accelerator application form to email@example.com.
Future dates for the programme will be added here once agreed.
What do participants say?
Participants from previous cohorts talked about their experiences of the Accelerator in a blog post on the Data Science Campus website.
For more information on this programme or other mentoring opportunities, contact the Data Science Campus.