14 June 2021
Applications are now open for the Data Science and Data Visualisation Accelerator programmes until 9 July 2021.
The new Data Visualisation branch of the Accelerator will be delivered in partnership with the Analysis Function and in response to an increasing demand for mentoring on data visualisation projects.
A Data in Government blog post explains more about both programmes and how to apply.
We are also running a project clinic on Thursday 17 June from 12 to 1pm to help you decide if the programme is for you. To register your interest please email Data.Science.Accelerator@ons.gov.uk.
What is the Data Science Accelerator?
The Data Science Accelerator has given analysts in the public sector opportunities to develop their data science skills through project-based mentoring since 2015.
The Data Visualisation Accelerator was launched in partnership with the Analysis Function in June 2021 in response to an increasing demand for mentoring on data visualisation projects.
The Accelerator is delivered by the Government Data Science Partnership, a collaboration between the Office for National Statistics (ONS) Data Science Campus, the Government Digital Service (GDS), and the Government Office for Science (GO-Science). It is also supported by the Analysis Function.
How does it work?
- work on a data science or data visualisation project, chosen by you, over three months
- commit to spending one day a week on your project, which forms your protected time (an important benefit of the programme)
- be assigned a mentor with experience in data science or data visualisation for the duration of your project and benefit from peer support from other participants in your cohort
How will the programme be delivered?
The Accelerator is being delivered as a remote mentoring programme.
The programme is normally delivered face-to-face from several regional hubs across the country. However, due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, face-to-face mentoring is not currently possible.
You will still spend one day per week working on your project and agree your project schedule with your mentor.
We will provide help and guidance for effective remote mentoring and we will facilitate virtual networking across the Accelerator community.
Your line manager and a senior manager (usually a Head of Profession or equivalent) must agree that:
- your project tackles a current issue in your business area
- you have access to the data you’ll need for your project
- you can spend one day per week for three months working on your project
Some coding experience would be beneficial, however successful applicants will receive access to analytical and data science courses provided by the Analysis Function and the ONS Data Science Campus to support them with their project work.
How can I apply?
- a project proposal
- an explanation of what you hope to gain from taking part in the Accelerator
- a statement of support from your line manager, Head of Profession or equivalent
- to complete either the Data Science Accelerator programme application form or the Data Visualisation Accelerator programme application form and send it to Data.Science.Accelerator@ons.gov.uk
More information on both programmes, including requirements and how to apply, is available on on Gov.UK.
Applications open on 14 June and close on 9 July 2021 for both the data science and data visualisation accelerator.
Dates for the project work are:
- 2 September to 18 November 2021 for the Data Science Accelerator
- 9 September to 25 November 2021 for the Data Visualisation Accelerator
What do participants say?
Previous participants from the data science accelerator talked about their experiences in a blog post on the Data in Government blog.
For more information on this programme or other mentoring opportunities, please email the team.